Thursday, August 18, 2016

Personal Favorites: List 1; Use of Music or at least Good Use of Music in a Movie Sequence

 This list is about the use of music in movies and how music can either take an already great scene and make it better or take a mediocre scene/good scene and make it great. This list is in no particular order, just what comes to mind off the top of my head. This list may grow or I may just make a second list as I come across more great uses of music. I'm only going to include one musical in this list as for the most part musicals come written with the music for them rather than having songs tailored for sequences. 
"Free Bird" in Devil's Rejects
"Don't Fear the Reaper" in the miniseries The Stand
Anything by Quentin Tarantino. The man is so brilliant at finding and selecting excellent music for his movies that it would be sickening except I love it.
The entire film of Moulin Rouge. Yes it is a musical but I absolutely loved the way that the songs were used to tell the story. I know this has been done in other pictures but I haven't gotten around to seeing those other pictures so there.
"Hallelujah" in The Watchmen
"Don't Fear the Reaper" in Scream
"Let Me Fall" and the end sequence in Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away
"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" in Bridget Jones' Diary
"Thunderstruck" in Battleship
"Try A Little Tenderness" in Pretty In Pink
"I Can't Get Next To You" in Hope Floats
"Coming Back For More" in Hope Floats
"Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman" in Don Juan DeMarco
"I Can't Hold Back" in Paul Blart: Mall Cop
"Time After Time"  and "Heaven is a Place on Earth" in Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
All of the music from the movie Love Actually
"Independent Love Song" in Bed of Roses
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" in Manhunter
"Jaws theme" in Jaws
"Psycho theme" in Psycho
"I Will Find You" in The Last of the Mohicans (alas the foolish people who make these decisions decided to cut this scene short and, even worse, cut out the lyrics basically making it an instrumental version on all newer versions of the dvd possibly all dvds. Therefore if you happen to be lucky enough to own a copy on VHS, treasure it.)
"Sister Christian" in Fast Times At Ridgemont High
All of the scenes involving music in Top Gun particularly the opening sequence using "Danger Zone"
"Twist and Shout" in Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Tango Scene in Scent of A Woman and to a lesser, more comedic degree the tango scene from True Lies
"Halloween Theme Main Title" in Halloween (1978)
The entire soundtrack used for Dark Shadows (2012)
"Sweet Dreams" for Gamer and to a much lesser degree House on Haunted Hill (1999)
All of the scenes involving music in Dirty Dancing (1987)
"Shout" in Animal House
All of the scenes involving music in The Blues Brothers (1980)
"Higher and Higher" in both scenes using this song in Ghostbusters II especially the scene involving the Statue of Liberty
"Earth Angel" and "The Power of Love" in Back to the Future
"I'm All Right" in Caddyshack
"Footloose" in Footloose (1984)
"Angel of the Morning" and "Inspiration" in Deadpool
"Tequila" in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
"Surfin' USA" in Teen Wolf
All of the scenes involving music in The Breakfast Club
"Better When I'm Dancin" in The Peanuts Movie
Dance off scene in White Chicks
"Keep on Loving You" in Crank: High Voltage
"Lucky Star" in Snatch
"It's Always Been You" in Crown for Christmas
"You don't know me" in Groundhog Day
All of the scenes involving music in Sleepless In Seattle
"Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" in Strictly Ballroom
I'll add more as they come to me or as I come across them. I hope that I have at least given you food for thought even better a pleasant reminder of movie memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment