Thursday, July 2, 2020

What We Do in the Shadows (2014) rated R for bloody violent content, some sexual material, and language

This film (which led to the show of the same title) is a "documentary" on a group of vampires living in modern times in Wellington New Zealand.  Viago (played by Taika Waititi), Deacon (played by Jonathan Brugh), Vladislav (played by Jemaine Clement) and Petyr (played by Ben Fransham) are all sharing a flat together and have allowed access to a private world.  A film crew follows these flatmates as they go about their daily lives, including following a chore wheel, hunting, and meeting/interacting with new people while dealing with the challenges that being undead can bring.  All throughout the film comedic hijinks ensue.

I first became aware of this film when I saw a preview for the show of the same name.  Afterwords I  learned of the movie.  I personally find that so far I've liked what little I've seen of Taika Waititi's work so I was sold as soon as I heard about his involvement.  I wasn't disappointed at all.

I loved the dynamic between the cast.  Viago is a sweet earnest nice guy who obviously wants to live but seems genuinely concerned about everyone around him whether it is his flatmates or his victims.  Deacon is great fun as a this bombastic party guy who is selfish and self-centered but he's really not a bad guy and he does care about his friends.  Vladislav is probably the most "familiar" in that he is a "traditional almost old-school" type vampire.  He's been around for awhile, he's seen and done some things and he's not ashamed but he's also more refined than perhaps the younger "generation".  Finally we have Petyr.  He is the silent stoic type probably because he's a Nosferatu and he's the oldest of them all.  We see the least of him but the film did a good job of keeping him in the present despite his being in the background.  The characters are well rounded off by the side characters who do a great job of holding their own.  I also loved how all of the actors were so wonderfully generous.  You never really forgot about any one of the side characters while keeping your focus on the main three.

The comedy was great for me.  I was laughing the whole time.  I'm very happy that I was able to procure a dvd copy of this film because I love it and apparently it was at one time hard to find. If you're looking for a great original comedy this is one to watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment