Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Veronica rated TV-MA for disturbing images

In 1991 in Madrid the police responded to a 911 call in an apartment complex.  What they found frightened and baffled them.  This case is listed officially listed by the police as "unexplained".  Then the film backtracks to a few days before the opening sequence.  During an eclipse three teenage girls including one named Veronica (played by Sandra Escacena) sneak away from their classmates and play with a Ouija board to contact their respective dead loved ones.  Something strange happens while they play with the Ouija board although Veronica doesn't seem to remember.  Over the course of the next few days paranormal events start happening at Veronica's house although only the children see or experience anything.

Like many other people I got sucked into the hype of "this is the scariest film on Netflix"  and how only "1 in 10 people have been able to watch it all the way through".  Just like the others I'm sure, I recognized hype but I decided to watch it anyway with low expectations.  I wasn't disappointed but I know it was because I went in with low expectations.

The acting was very good especially by the lead actress Sandra Escacena.  I was impressed to learn that this was her first film.  She certainly didn't give any indication that this was her first film.

Overall the horror had some similarities to other demonic films. There were a few jump scares but I thought that they were appropriate considering.  I personally enjoyed the film more than I anticipated and I do recommend it to those who are curious.

Regarding the "based on true events" aspect I did research the real story as best as I could.  Of course everything that I found was articles that were biased one way or the other.  They all claimed to have real photos and real statements from the incident and media outlets that covered it.  I personally believe in paranormal things particularly involving demons so I found the real story very frightening.  I liked how the movie incorporated aspects of the the real story although there was some understandable condensing and slight creative license taken.

It's nice to have a film based on true events actually present the true events to a larger degree than Hollywood tends to.  Future Hollywood productions based on true events should borrow a page from this film's filmmakers.  They would have better films based on true events.

A word of caution regarding watching this film.  There are two Spanish films on Netflix called Veronica, both are horror movies, and both were released in 2017.  Look for the one involving teenage girls playing with a Ouija board.

No comments:

Post a Comment