Monday, July 6, 2020

Hell House LLC Not rated there is some violence, language, and disturbing/frightening imagery

A documentary crew is investigating the mysterious events that resulted in the deaths of tourgoers and staff at a haunted house attaction called Hell House.  One lone witness who was a staff member named Sarah (played by Ryan Jennifer Jones) comes forward with new evidence including video recordings leading up to that final tragic tour.

This is a newer found footage film movie so if you don't like found footage films then this movie isn't for you.  I personally don't have issue with found footage films so I thought that this film was surprisingly good.  I say surprisingly good because there have been so many found footage films and some are so similar that they feel like the same movie.

 When I first started watching the film I was skeptical and put off by one of the main characters Alex (played by Danny Bellini).  I felt that the actor was trying too hard to be a douchey tool so I stopped watching it.  A friend who is a huge fan of found footage films, strongly urged me to give the film a second try.  I did with some reluctance, fully prepared to be disappointed.  I was pleasantly surprised by the film.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and continue to watch it often lately.

The story was interesting and part of its appeal for me is what the filmmakers left out for the audience to piece together/imagine.  I personally love it when filmmakers grant audiences the chance to make films scarier/more interesting by leaving stuff to the imagination as long as it is done well. 

I was also pleasantly surprised by the lack of reliance on excessive anything whether it was violence, sexuality, gore etc.  Unfortunately many horror movies especially modern ones seem to rely heavily on either sexuality and/or gore.  There also wasn't a lot of jump scares which can get tiring after awhile.   

Alex grew on me and the rest of the characters made sense.  Very good job of presenting a "believable" horror story.  The visuals were also good considering this is a found footage film.

No comments:

Post a Comment