Saturday, July 16, 2016

Machine Gun Preacher rated R for violence, a scene of sensuality, drug use, graphic/disturbing images, language



I remember first seeing the cover of the movie in stores and being intrigued. In my opinion, Gerard Butler is a very good actor and he seems to be in good/great movies more often than not. Then I read a brief article in Entertainment Weekly about how Machine Gun Preacher got by a lot of people. My curiosity was further excited by this article as it seemed unusual at best. The movie wasn't a particularly "flashy" movie and while Gerard Butler is talented, the article seemed to be possibly more genuine because of its simplicity and understatedness. So, for my birthday, a friend purchased the movie. I confess that I didn't immediately watch it although I have no idea why. Part of it may have been that the cover explained that it is based on a true story and I was worried that I might feel too sad after watching the film. In any case, I sat down one day, determined to watch the movie and a little scared of what I might see
.
As it turns out, my trepidations regarding the material were not unfounded. This movie is rated R for a very good reason but that simply means that it probably isn't a movie for children to watch given the graphic scenes in it. There is violence specifically against children and to say that it is hard to watch is an understatement. That being said, if you are at all curious about watching the film, please try to watch it.
In my humble opinion this movie is one of the best films that I have seen so far (it's actually on my list of top films). I don't regret watching the movie at all and in fact I recommend it to all of my friends (with a warning regarding watching around children).
The movie has many wonderful, powerful messages that really resonate. How strongly would you stand up for your beliefs and actions when you are faced with such pain, suffering, and odds that it seems one person can't possibly do anything? What if you were faced with a situation where you wanted to help do something, anything but everyone is telling you by yourself can't help? What if they further asked why do you care? What if the few people who did believe in you started to question you and not be as supportive or completely stop being supportive? What if you could only save a few when thousands need your help? What if, no matter how hard you tried, you still "failed" or at least faced setbacks, losses, devastation, or finding yourself doing actions that you would never have imagined doing? Would you give up or would you keep trying no matter what the cost?

My favorite messages that I got from this movie are actually contained in those questions. One of my favorite messages was that no matter who you are, no matter what you have done, and no matter where you come from, you are not beyond redemption or hope. Whether you choose to find hope and/or redemption in the way that Sam Childers did or doesn't is of no consequence as long as there is no harm to yourself or to others. (This movie is happily free of preachiness too [funny I know since the title contains the word preacher].)
Another favorite message, everyone matters.
An additional favorite message, every little action no matter how seemingly insignificant matters and is important.
The movie opens with disturbing scenes of violence with children in Sudan. The movie then rewinds a few years to focus on our protagonist Sam Childers. The movie does an excellent job of depicting him (at least initially) as a terrible scumbag low-life drug addicted degenerate who is presumably a bad husband and not a particularly good father. In the movie, one night Sam makes a truly terrible "mistake" (another understatement) and soon seeks redemption. In Sam's case, redemption is rediscovering Christianity. He gets baptized and cleans up his life. Sam apparently has construction experience and uses that experience when he hears about a missionary trip to Africa. While in Africa he hears vague information regarding a civil war in Sudan. He fatefully decides to visit the area and thus begins probably the most major turning point in his life. In a heartbreaking scene (and there are many in this movie so if you're like me have your tissues ready) on his first night in Sudan he observes children coming from all around the countryside of the place that he is staying at. When he asks his guide what's happening the guide explains that the children are sent away from their homes at night to sleep with their parents' hopes that they will be safer than if they stay in their villages. Sam is immediately moved to invite the children to sleep inside the building that he is staying in. Sam's guide Deng states that Sam can't help all of the children as there are too many. Sam promptly responds that he can at least help some of the children.
Throughout the movie Sam will continuously face resistance in the form similar thought patterns, statements, actions, and/or at least sentiments that basically he shouldn't try to help any of the children because there are too many so it's no use. Almost every time that he encounters these things, he responds by stating that he can do something for some of the children so therefore he will try to help as many of the children as he possibly can. The movie does an excellent job of portraying as much as it can just how difficult and seemingly impossible were the odds against Sam and how hard it was for him to stick to his mission.
After his first visit to Sudan, Sam is moved to try to do something for the children of Sudan and so begins his life's work of trying to save as many children as he can. Through it all he starts a church for people that he can relate to more, people "more like him". He also tries to be a good friend, as well as a better husband and father. Along the way we see Sam torn between doing what's easy and doing what's right. He faces some unbelievable challenges.
The movie doesn't clearly say so but I feel that certain minor characters that Sam encounters in the movie are more representative of attitudes that Sam experienced rather than actual people that he encountered which only adds dimension to the story as a whole. The story is amazing and so inspiring. The acting is superb. The cast is excellent. Great directing. Wonderful writing all around. The best part of the movie is knowing that Sam Childers has been and is still trying to save as many children as he can.

Usually I don't agree with critics but in this case I feel that this movie should have won some kind of awards (besides just technical ones of course). It seems that perhaps due to its timing and its lack of marketing that it unfortunately did go unnoticed by many people. I know of very few people who have seen the movie and those very few have only seen it because I personally showed it to them.

I thought it was very admirable that Gerard Butler himself was one of the executive producers of this film. On a side note regarding Gerard Butler, it seems to me that he appears to do movies that are not "typical" stories although they may have some "typical" elements to them. While he is well known for his great action films (300 anyone?) his dramas are equally great if a little underrated. Like quite a few actors, he gives the impression that he only does dramas that particularly draw him in (basically quality over quantity) rather than to simply garner profit or acclaim.
I think that's great that he not only wanted to be a part of this movie but that he felt moved to personally make sure that this story was told. Obviously he's not the only actor to do that and he's not the first actor to do this but still. Very admirable of him.

If you decide to watch it (and I sincerely hope that you do), I have a recommendation. I have noticed among my friends (they all love movies too of course) that there is a common habit of commenting, possibly chatting, etc during films. My recommendation for this film is that you should try your best to truly watch the film. Try to focus on the film as much as you can and really take in the film and its messages and try to understand the film.
In my personal experience, everyone that I have shown the film to no matter how chatty they normally are become quiet and introspective. One couple was actually moved to make a donation although I don't think that that was necessarily the intention of the film.

I confess that after watching the movie, among the flood of emotions that I felt, I felt ashamed for a number of reasons. I was particularly bothered by my lack of knowledge regarding Darfur and everything connected with Darfur. I recalled vaguely hearing about Darfur but not paying too much attention to anything that I heard. I certainly didn't feel the urge to investigate further. After all, it wasn't personally affecting me. While I'm not a terrible person for feeling this way, I still felt terrible as the film The Machine Gun Preacher does a great job of enlightening people who for whatever reason(s) weren't aware of what is happening in Darfur and the rest of Sudan.

Shortly after the initial shame, I felt grateful that Sam Childers is out on his mission doing what he can even if it is only to save one child. I was glad that Sam had decided to share his story and I was glad that people listened enough to make this film. I think that the more people that see the film the better. It brings much needed attention to a devastating situation that still goes on today. Obviously, hopefully much much sooner than later the situation can be peacefully ended/resolved in as positive a manner as possible.
After talking with a friend about this film, he said that he was surprised that I liked this movie considering it is a movie that features a lot of sadness.  I was surprised by his statement.  While I agree that this movie has many sad moments overall I would say that this movie as more about triumph and overcoming obstacles even in the face of unbelievable odds.

Hope you enjoyed the blog. Sorry for spoilers. I hope that no one was offended as that wasn't my intention. If you were offended, I apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment