Monday, October 29, 2018

Hereditary (2018) rated R for horror violence, disturbing images, language, drug use, and brief graphic nudity *contains spoilers*



After her mother dies, Annie (played by Toni Collette) and her daughter Charlie (played by Milly Shapiro) try to cope and heal while Annie's husband Steve (played by Gabriel Byrne) and her son Peter (played by Alex Wolff) carry on with life as usual.  After a horrific accident claims the life of Charlie, the rest of the family struggles to pick up the pieces while seemingly supernatural phenomena start to occur particularly around Annie and Peter.  Annie races to save her family but will she succeed?





Honestly I allowed myself to have high expectations after noticing that the cover hailed this film as "This generation's The Exorcist..."  If you've read my entry on The Exorcist then you know how I feel about the movie.  If not suffice it to say that I didn't and still don't think that it's the scariest movie of all time although it deserves its recognition for being ground-breaking.

  I think that it's great that the writer/director took a chance and made his vision come to life but the film felt a little pretentious.

 I was so confused by the title of this movie and the sort of explanation given in the behind the scenes.  My friend who lent me her copy had to explain everything to me.  She confessed that she herself had to look up videos to explain the film.  Once I heard her explanation, I could somewhat appreciate the horror of the movie a bit more. 

The fact that the movie didn't succeed in conveying my friend's explanation made me not like this movie.  Lots of people did like this movie so it might just be me.  I would recommend this movie if you are curious but if you aren't I don't think that you'll miss anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment